Chanelle Laurence, of The Penelope Times, is one of those girls who was going to Coachella before it was just another hashtag on instagram, and a word as frequently murdered as juicing. As a Coachella Veteran, we felt compelled to get Chanelle’s top tips and tricks for having the best Coachella weekend ever. Oh, and she’ll be taking over our instagram on Saturday, April 13th as she takes Coachella once again. Don’t miss a single moment by searching #365xCoachella!
Coachella weekend. A weekend filled with amazing music, exclusive parties, and amazing style. Some people go for just the festival, some for just the parties and some go to do it all. Iâ€™d like to consider myself a veteran when it comes to Coachella weekend. Iâ€™ve been going ever since there was just one weekend of fun, each day sold separately and the name â€śCoachellaâ€ť was an odd sounding word that had no meaning to your average Joe.
Iâ€™ve had plenty of experience under my belt, from enduring hot AND cold weather, a plethora of parties and of course, the festival. With that being said, Iâ€™m your girl when it comes to tips and survival guides. Pictured below is my official Coachella survival guide and Iâ€™d love to take you through it. I personally like taking it easy and hitting up the parties, so my survival guide reflects that, but I gave some pointers if youâ€™re going to the festival as well. After that, stick around for some tips for the weekend. Get your notepads ready!
Coachella Survival Guide:
1. A Variety of Bathing Suits. This one applies if youâ€™re heading to the parties or will be by a pool at all during the weekend. Thereâ€™s always a pool at the parties and itâ€™s always great to come prepared. I like to bring a few bathing suits that I can mix and match and wear a different one all 3 days if I need to. If youâ€™re just going to the festival you can wear a bandeau bathing suit top with high waisted shorts and a kimono to keep you cool and stylish while youâ€™re rockinâ€™ out.
2. A Good Cover Up. Just because youâ€™re going to a party with a pool doesnâ€™t mean people are always going to be in them. I like to wear a cover up that acts as an outfit but I can easily take off if I feel the need to cool off. I have a mesh tank pictured but you could wear a short flowy dress or some shorts with a tank top.
3. Hats. I donâ€™t know about you but I love me a good hat and Coachella is the perfect time to experiment with them. On top of them being a great accessory, they will protect you from the sun and keep you cool. It IS the desert, remember?
4. Cooling Mist. I got these both in a gift bag and to be honest, had no idea they existed in real life. These are cooling mists that you throw in your purse and spray on your face when itâ€™s getting a little warm. They are refreshing and AMAZING in 100 degree weather.
5. A Variety of Sunglasses. At Coachella everyone brings their style A-game. I always have so much fun planning all my outfits out and having new things to wear over the weekend. Sunglasses are a HUGE part of your outfit and you pretty much need them everyday, why not switch it up on the daily? I know Iâ€™m a sunglasses addict so not everyone is going to have three pairs but bring the ones you can and make note that theyâ€™re a great item to invest in.
6. Nail Wraps. Nail wraps have blown up over the past few years and itâ€™s no secret why; theyâ€™re cheap, they stay on for a long time and they give you art without the mess. I love putting some on before I leave and having a back up set in case something happens over the course of the weekend. Theyâ€™re fun to mix and match and they really step up your nail game with little effort.
7. Disposable Camera. Some of you are thinking that Iâ€™m crazy with this disposable camera idea but hear me out. Weâ€™re in the age of digital everything and instant gratification, which is great, but sometimes itâ€™s fun to go back. For me, I love having a disposable camera on deck because itâ€™s very hard to break and if you loose it youâ€™re not out a couple hundred bucks. Also, it brings back that magic of taking a bunch of photos over the weekend, wondering how they came out and the excitement of getting them developed. I personally think it makes for great content on my blog and you can always frame them and put them around your home.
8. Big Earrings. Again, â€śChanelle, youâ€™re crazy!â€ť, I know, I know. If youâ€™re headed to the festival I donâ€™t think these are a great idea but if youâ€™re lounginâ€™ by the pool, step up those accessories! I think itâ€™s fun to add an earring with your bathing suit because they look really cute with hair thatâ€™s up, which is usually the case at the pool. It brings a great style to a normally un-accessorized outfit, a bathing suit, and Iâ€™m all about that style baby!
9. Chapstick + Lipstick. 1 word; DESERT. Your lips are going to be going through it this weekend, keep some chapstick on you at all times. Trust me, youâ€™ll need it. I also added in a nice, light lipstick to put on during the day for a great pop of color.
10. Perfume. I feel like this oneâ€™s a no brainer but itâ€™s always good to smell nice.
11. Sunscreen. Even though this is the last number on my survival guide, itâ€™s the first thing on my packing list. With the dangers of the sun and the damage it does to your skin, sunscreen is a MUST. I try to be very good about putting it on every time I know Iâ€™m going to be in the sun and you should too. Donâ€™t worry youâ€™ll still get that tan you want and youâ€™ll be protected while you do it.
-Apply sunscreen every 2 hours or so.
-HYDRATE.HYDRATE.HYDRATE. Coconut water, water, whatever you needâ€¦.DRINK IT.
-Take photos/videos but enjoy being in the moment.
-Take an Uber! Theyâ€™re out there for the festival weekend and use them when youâ€™ve been drinking or if you donâ€™t want to deal with parking.
-If itâ€™s 100+ degrees and youâ€™re feeling ill, get in some cold water to cool your body down (pool, shower, etc.) and drink more water. If you donâ€™t have access to this, drink cold water and then drink more water.
-Eat. (itâ€™s so easy to forget)
-Enjoy Palm Springs if you can (Birba and Cheekyâ€™s are my favorite places to dine)
-HASHTAG. Come up with a hashtag with your friends so you can all use it and see your photos together after the festival, or use the designated hashtag of the party youâ€™re at.
-Use a small bag for the weekend instead of a big tote or purse and only bring items you NEED.
-Wear comfortable sandals (did I mention itâ€™s in the desert?) that wonâ€™t give you blisters (sweat + walking = no good)
-Donâ€™t do layers unless itâ€™s a cool weekend. Youâ€™ll thank me later.
-Play with fun hairstyles that keep hair off your neck and out of your face, i.e. braids, twists, ponys.
-Pack a jacket or sweater for night time, sometimes it gets chilly.
-Bring Aloe Vera for sunburn relief.
-Set a meeting place with your friends if someone gets lost, service tends to suck during the festival weekends.
-Set up â€śfind my iPhoneâ€ť app if you have an iPhone. Have you seen Coachellaâ€™s lost and found photos?
Written by Chanelle Laurence